Sunday, January 16, 2005

And For Slanders Let There Be No Hope

Three times a day I cherish the opportunity to say: "And for the slanderers let there be no hope; and may all the heretics perish in an instant; and may all the enemies of Your people be cut down speedily. May you speedily uproot, smash and cast down the wanton sinners -- destroy them, lower them, humble them, speedily in our days. Blessed is He Who breaks enemies and humbles wanton sinners."
While I recite this prayer, I think about latidurian members of my shul, as well as the wider world of Modern Orthodoxy, as well as the Reform, Conservative and Reconstructionists movements of Judaism, as well as Christians and Muslims and other idolaters, as well as secularists and hedonists and perverts, and I wish that they all be speedily extirpated for Your honor.
Even though Chaim Amalek is such a dear friend that he feels like a part of myself, because I am true to the Torah I pray earnestly and thrice-daily that he be wiped out (luckily he has not reproduced) along with all Jews whose mechitzas (separation between men and women) are not high enough and kashrut observance is not strict enough.
By virtue of these prayers, I am able to maintain the rage necessary to a productive writing life which serves as a blessing to all the families of the world. Amen.