Thursday, July 01, 2004

All I want from my Jewish newspaper

All I want from my Jewish paper, to adapt a saying on a a t-shirt, is peace in the Middle East and a ---- ---. Is that too much to ask?

When I read an article in the Jewish Journal, I want to feel my whole body convulsed by tension, climaxed by a satisfying conclusion that makes me scream, "Oh my God. Oh my God. That was the best ever." Is that too much to ask?

I want to leave my tawdry life while reading the paper and float in an ethereal world. Is that too much to ask?

Each time I open up the pages of the Journal, I expect my experience to usher in a messianic age. Each time I'm disappointed. It makes me very very angry.

Anonymous writes: I hate to say this, but ever since you left your other ventures and settled onto protocols and this blog, you've become very tedious. You keep bringing your shtick to the same few topics over and over again - Jews, Jews writing about Jews, Jews writing about Jews who write about Jews etc. - and it just isn't working. It does not help you cause that in going this route, you have selected a form that graphically looks like any of 4,000,000+ other blogs out there. Even when you were merely writing about producer has-beens and never-weres, you at least were hitting a broader range of topics in your interviews. And trying to borrow (textual sampling, I call it) from your "other" days isn't working either because you go to that well far too often. You've gone stale.