Sunday, August 01, 2004

My Struggle Against Hate Speech

Chaim Amalek has a brilliant idea for me to use in the battle against my inner racist demons. From this time forward, every time I feel the Touret's-like urge to rag on rag-heads or blacks or women or Jews, I should begin the task of blunting that urge by using nouns not commonly understood to refer to the group in question. For example:

Icelanders are lazy, dumb, and violent. (No telling who I am speaking of here, right?)

The world could do with far fewer coffee pots.

Tinkerbells do not deserve to have sex with hot morpehous Kronos women.

Buzzcocks ought to get rid of the cats, unless they want to remain Buzzcocks.

I'm going to change the vocabulary of hate speech, making it untenable to express a racist thought. And as expression goes, so too will the ability form racist thoughts.