Monday, June 28, 2004

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE?

Mike Albo writes: I always knew that Aussie-geek Luke Ford was nuts, but I don't think I ever truly gauged the depths of his insanity until he sent me the the following e-mail yesterday.

Mike,

Are you concerned about LA's absence of shared myths, symbols and collective narrative?

If so, what are you doing about it?

Sincerely,

Luke

Huh? To paraphrase Elvis in Jailhouse Rock, "Lukey, I don't know what the hell you're talkin' about."

Besides being a pretty gay topic to broach with another guy, it's ignorant. My suggestion? Head out to Union Station, cross Alameda and go to Olvera Street. Check out the old town plaza. Better, pay a visit to Mission San Gabriel. Take a trip up Azusa Canyon past Morris Dam. Better yet, just open your eyes. Los Angeles is crawling with "shared myths" and history, you tourist.