Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Kindness

Most of life is froth and bubbles
But two things stand like stone
Kindness in another's troubles
And courage in your own

(Forgot)

I'm always absurdly grateful when people are kind to me and absurdly touchy when they are not. About 80% of those I've approached to do an interview for my new book on journalism have cooperated, including many prestigious people, but those 20% who refuse, I am going to list at the beginning of my book with the curse - May they soon reap the same cooperation that they extended to me.
Is this so wrong?
Cathy Seipp writes: "I can't say if it's wrong or not, because so much of what you do is so beyond wrong it's ridiculous to waste time considering exactly how wrong it is."
Yaakov writes: "Yes, it is petty and wrong and worse, it is stupid. Everyone you meet and deal with now, you will meet and eal with later. If you act like a gentleman people will act in kind. You might need their cooperation at a later date. So just thank them, tell them you understand perfectly and express the hope that sometime in the future you might find a project that will appeal to them. Why make an enemy? It benefits no one."
Abe writes: "Say it in the positive - 'I hope they get better cooperation from others than they gave me" it means the same thing, and we both will know that you don't really mean it - but no one else will know for sure."
Yehupitzer writes: "As far as "curses" go, I thought it was mild, and cute. A nice middah k'neged middah."
Author Luke Admires: "There are two issues here. First, my general feeling is that when people cooperate journalists should be pleasantly surprised, and that we too quickly assume we are owed cooperation when we are not. Secondly, if you want to show the reader that you did the work--or tried to do the work and were thwarted--I think there are many ways to list who turned down interview requests without actually dissing or cursing them. I think Jewish Law gives you the right to always question, but does not guarantee you that anyone must answer."
Heather Mac Donald writes: I don't know Jewish customs. If it's OK to assume the Old Testament mantle of divine castigation, why not?