Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Today I Lost

An addition to my life in the past few months has been my daily games of basketball with the kids next door (aged 4, 7, 10). I win every game. We play to 21. Sometimes the 10 year old gets to 20 and then I guard him like a blanket and block all his shots. I dribble inside and repeatedly bank in shots, grab the ball, and bank in another until I win.
I tell the kids not to push me in the back or mess with my ankles. Those parts of me are particularly vulnerable to injury.
Today the kid hit three three-pointers in a row and beat me 21-12.
My jump shot is not like it was.
I've never truly played consistently for any team. I'm only 6' tall but I have long arms. I could match up with my best high school friend Shannon Anderson (who was a star on the school team), who stood 6'3". But when our arms extended to the sky, our fingertips were even.
I could competitively play pick-up games with members of my 1600-student body high school basketball team. I could play them even one-on-one and sometimes even win.
Today, my jump shot is not what it was. My lift is weaker than ever, getting worse by the year. My aim is not strong and my arms are not solid and I get winded after ten minutes. I used to be firm and tall and hard.