Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Satisfying a Man

Dennis Prager's essays on "Why young women are exposing themselves." Part Two.

Wanda writes Luke: Do you really agree with the sh-t he writes?

I just read his two essays -- to me, the message is -- "Women, don't go seeking economic power through your careers by competing with men. And don't go seeking power by dressing and being sexy."

Yeah, right, our true path to power is getting married, dressing modestly, cooking and cleaning and having babies. Let him do that and see how powerful he feels.

"When all is said and done, heading a home and being married to a good man are far more satisfying to most women than college teaching or corporate work." Give me a break.

I'm a woman, and to Shmueley Boteach and Dennis Prager I say -- stop preaching to me and tell your own sex how to dress and behave, if you're all so damn holy you can figure out how to keep it in your pants no matter what women do or wear.

Luke says: Yeah, I do, about 80% of the time...and the other 20%, I am agnostic. I am not a systemic thinker. I am a provocateur. I've always found that satisfying a man is the most important thing I can do with my life.

Yours is not a Jewish attitude. We have a responsibility for how our actions affect others.

WANDA WRITES: So where do you draw the line as to how women have to dress in order for men not to get turned on and want to screw around?

Who decided that its long skirts that's enough of a turn-off? Or covering your hair with an ugly hat or a wig? Where does it end? I'll tell you -- with these pathetic women wearing sheets over their heads like they did under the Taliban.

Though I guess if a guy has a foot fetish, even that is still a problem.

Seriously, this modesty concept is ridiculous. Is a beautiful Orthodox woman dressed modestly really going to turn you on less than a 300-pound ugly woman dressed like Britney Spears?

Luke replies: All men who carry on conversations with women treat them with considerably more sensitivity than they do fellow men. Men would tell a man who behaved with PMS symptoms to stick his PMS. Men rarely say such to women.

Thus, as men must take into account women's sensitivities, women should take into account male sensitivities to visual arousal. If we expect men to subordinate their verbal tendencies to accommodate female sensitivities, we can expect women to curtail their exhibitionistic tendencies to accommodate male sensitivities.

Where do you draw the line? Orthodox Judaism has developed a system that has worked for thousands of years in this regard and is better than any other at keeping men sexually faithful to their wives.

I've never known a man to become upset when I've forgotten his birthday.

I've never known a man to get upset if I mention he's gained a few pounds.

I've never known a man to get upset if I mention he's losing his looks.

I've rarely known a man to get upset when I mention his age. I've never known a man in his forties to get upset if I refer to him as middle-aged.

I've rarely known a man to keep me waiting more than a minute so he can do his hair.

Dozens of women have behaved differently in these respects. Ergo, men and women have different needs and sensitivities.

We live in a narcissistic age. One example of this is women wanting to wear whatever they want without regard to the affect their attire has on men. This is childish, selfish and unJewish.