Saturday, December 11, 2004

I Think I Might Be Spiderman

Sabbath afternoon, I stopped by a mate's place on my way to shul to daven mincha (pray the afternoon service). He and his teenage daughter were watching Spiderman. Between deep thoughts on Torah, I caught a few glimpses of the movie. My mate and daughter pointed out that the parallels between me and Peter Parker, Batman's alterego, are eery:

* We're both penniless practicioners of the news trade.
* We're both awkward with women and maintain our chastity for the sake of higher ideals.
* We both live in one-room hovels.

According to IMDB: "When bitten by a genetically modified spider, a nerdy high school student gains spider-like abilities which he must eventually use to fight evil as a superhero."

Then we heard his Orthodox wife and kids coming home and my mate quickly turned off the TV and computer and jumped into Shabbos-mode. I ambled off to pray.