Tuesday, July 13, 2004

If You Are My Friend, Here Is What You Must Do

I am a bit disappointed in the reaction of some of my friends to this venture. They sniffle at me for trying to be more than I am, as though this were a bad thing. I know I am not perfect, but with a good woman backing me up, I would be a whole lot better than I am, and I ask that you respect my quest.

"What Can I Do Today to Help Luke?"

These are the words that I want to flash in your mind as you consider your role as my friend, when you wake up, when you floss your teeth, and when you push a button on an elevator. I sincerely desire your help in finding a woman who will make of me more than someone whom you find entertaining. I want not to be known merely as "Luke Ford, that character" but "Luke - that guy who married way up." We will still be friends, but I want to be more than the class clown, the oddity you show off to your friends to convince them of the breadth of your social circle and your tolerance for others.

Here is a partial list of people whom I expect to sift through their rolodexes to help me find a wife:
1. Steve Croft of 60 Minutes (and he knows why).
2. ALL the producers I interviewed and whom I helped make a bit more famous in my new book.
3. Everyone I ever interviewed for other purposes who likes me.
4. Cathy Seipp.