Friday, August 06, 2010

LA City Councilwoman Jan Perry II

Luke Ford writes:

Jan Perry represents the ninth district on the Los Angeles City Council.

She plans to run for mayor in 2013.

We talk by phone Friday morning.

Luke: “When you look back on your life, what are the most momentous decisions you’ve made?”

Jan: “Go to college. Get married. Have a child. And to run for office.”

Luke: “Tell me about your religious journey.”

Jan: “I’m not sure what you mean by that.”

Luke: “Well, I’ll tell you mine in 30 seconds.”

Jan: “Yeah. Help me out here.”

Luke: “My father’s a preacher. I was raised the son of a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian evangelist… In my teens, I became an atheist and explored communism and different ways of looking at life. I ended up converting to Orthodox Judaism.”