Monday, July 27, 2009

The Day I Knew The Relationship Was Doomed

Talking to her on the phone that Sunday, I realized the only way I would see her that day would be if she could fit me in around her dog-sitting.
She finally invited me to dinner that night at the home of friends.
I took a shower after yoga but was not sure how to dress as she would be accompanied by her friend's big black dog.
We went to Trader Joe's so she could pick up wine.
Though plenty of kosher wines were available, she deliberately chose non-kosher wine.
Over dinner, she had a couple of glasses. That bothered me because she was driving us home.
Drink and drive on your own time, woman!
Her conversation that evening was 50% about dogs. A minute of conversation about dogs is about all I can handle before my eyes glaze over.
I wouldn't talk about football for an hour over dinner if I knew that at least half of my audience had zero interest in the topic.
When she dropped me off, we hugged for a minute in the car (with the big black dog drooling over us) but anything further was not possible because of the dog.
A bunch of little things that day made me realize I didn't rate very highly in her priorities.
That was the night I gave up on us.
I kept seeing her for a few weeks out of inertia but then we ended with a bang.