Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Sherry Lansing Anecdote

The following is an anecdote about Sherry Lansing in Don Siegel's autobiography (A Siegel Film - posthumous, 1993, p. 420) in the chapter recollecting the making of Telefon (1977, starring Charles Bronson and Lee Remick).

"The members of the MGM commitee where Dick Shepherd; Ray Wagner, a top executive; Leo Greenfield, head of publicity; Lew Rachmil, head of production; and Sherry Lansing, who I think was head of the story department. At one of the numerous committee meetings, I sat on Dick's left, as I was the target of their story suggestions. Ray Wagner had usually nothing to say, which sounded good to my hears. However I remember well two words which Leo Greenfield frequently used: ambience and panache.
Sherry Lansing was a most attractive girl in her late twenties. She was very enthusiastic about a sequence in one of the earlier scripts, which took place in the lady's restroom at a train station. The scene showed our leading lady combing her hair. While looking in the miror she notices one of the toilet doors slowly opening, revealing a filthy derelict holding a knife. As he tries to rape our leading lady, she badly beats him up.

ME: It's difficult to shoot leading ladies in any type of physical encounter. Bronson could and should take care of all the physical encounters. I know he'll want to. Also, we don't need the scene.
LANSING: (voice filled with emotion) When she is attacked by this bum and fights him off, the audience will stand up and cheer!
ME: Sherry, the script is very long now and this scene should be the first one to be cut out.
SHERRY: I feel very strongly that it should be left in.
ME: When it comes to rape, you unquestionably know more than I do. I'm also quite sure that in Karate you are much better than I. (Very businesslike, standing up.) Perhaps the committee might like to witness what would happen if I tried to rape you - without a knife, of course. (Walking towards her.) I think you should get to your feet with your back towards me. Don't worry about hurting me.
Her face turned beet-red. She was glued to her chair. Having made my point, Dick asked me to take my seat. Sherry's face no longer looked flushed. Hatred filled it instead."