Friday, June 25, 2010

Brownies That Taste Like Brownies

I love authentic foods, products that embody the ideals of good nutrition: excellent, all natural ingredients, delicious taste and a commitment to personal wellness. Alas, few brands - and this number becomes even smaller when reviewing various protein bars - uphold these principles. Often, a brand aims for, at best, a simulacrum of taste. Translation: a bar has some harsh additive to mimic the taste of a brownie or cookie or muffin. Why not create the real thing, forgoing all those additives and artificial flavorings? Good question! The answer, in my humble opinion, is this: most food companies want to make money; and anything that adds to the bottom line - as if great taste and a loyal clientele are needless expenses - is a waste. Please.

Thankfully, one company gets it. Lenny & Larry's (www.lennylarry.com) makes a series of all natural, protein-enriched brownies, cookies and muffins. In a word -- delicious! I tried the brand after one of their contacts approached me - thank you for acknowledging my blog! - and I went to my local Whole Foods to buy some product. Did I expect to be blown away? No. Did I think the brownies would be amazing? No. And then I actually ate one. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

To repeat: Lenny & Larry's is my new favorite product. Healthy, all natural and delicious. Get some!!!