Monday, May 18, 2009

My sports allegiances cause me more pain than pleasure

And you?
We are not even mentioning the waste of time.
What makes for a sports fan? It is someone who is unhappy with his life and wants to take on the glamorous virtues of a particular team, forgetting his miserable individual existence and losing himself in the ALL and vicariously sharing in the team's glories.

A friend emails: I can't really explain my obsession with the Lakers...maybe when you explain to me yours with the Cowboys, I'll get a better understanding of why smart, grown men like you and I can get such pleasure from these things. Actually, I changed my mind. I don't want to know. I'm afraid if I analyze it too much, I'll stop being a fan, and getting all this pleasure.

Very interesting point...when they lose and disappoint, I try to tune them out and pray for better days. Unlike real family and friends and community, which deserve a claim on my pain, the Lakers are only there for pleasure...maybe that's why I love them.

And when's Romo going to stop dating those bimbos which get in the way of real macho performance on the playing field?