Saturday, May 16, 2009

Already On The 110

It’s 7:47 am and she’s calling from the road.

"How was your big dinner?"

"Never-shattering," she says.

"How many people?"

"About 50.

"I was so anxious I had to drink. I got quite drunk."

"How did you get home?"

"I drove."

"How much did you drink?"

"I had a glass of wine to start the evening. And then half a glass over dinner. And then afterwards, a bunch of us stayed behind and the chef brought out seafood crepes. And I had another half a glass of wine."

"How much does it take you to get drunk?"

"One glass. I’m a lightweight."

"Do you want to get together tonight?"

"Do you want to see me?"

"Yes, I want to see you. I adore you."

"OK then. How much do you want to see me?"

"This much."

"OK."

"How about dinner at my place at 7pm?"

"Hmm, I don’t know. I have such a big day. I don’t want to commit."

"So you’ll let me know?"

"OK. I’m pulling in to work. I’ll let you know."

5:30 pm. I’m resting when the phone rings.

I get up ten minutes later and check the caller ID.

It’s her.

I dial her digits.

"You coming?" I ask.

"Honey, I called you right after work. You didn’t answer. So I turned for home. I’m already on the 110."