Monday, October 18, 2010

Did Jenn Sterger Want Those Pictures From Brett Favre?

I've spent my morning looking at photos of Jenn Sterger and I have come to some very profound conclusions.



I'm wondering if she wanted to receive those intimate texts from Brett Favre?

I've spent a long time looking at photos of Jenn Sterger and I am mystified at what else one would text such a lady? Brett's Little Viking might be just the ticket.

Jenn Sterger has made her whole career on her sex appeal. So why is it wrong for guys to try to relate to her in a sexual manner? Heck, I am a very religious guy, but after extensive viewing of her photos online, I want to send her photos of me.

I remember the movie director Greg Dark, who got to know dozens of actresses. Some were appalled. They said he was abandoning the lofty standards required of someone in his position.

Greg's view? What else do you do with them? Discuss Descarte?

Girls who put their sexuality first and forward will inevitably attract sex-centered attention.

On the other hand, pious Torah scholars such as myself inevitably attract lofty theological insights.



I didn't get into journalism to write about Brett Favre's private parts, and I suspect most of my colleagues would like that story ruled out of bounds.

But our ability to spike such tawdry tales ended many seasons ago. The story of whether Favre sent racy messages and pictures of what family newspapers call genitalia to a female New York Jets staffer started on the snarky sports blog Deadspin, and was soon propelled to the 50-yard line of MSM Stadium. If the sexting allegations against the veteran quarterback are true, Deadspin may have performed an admittedly distasteful public service.

Nobody has done more than me to protect journalistic standards.

Big deal, you say. What is the danger here?

The danger, as sleazy stories ooze from the depths of the Web, is that traditional news outlets will find themselves spreading unsubstantiated garbage. But in a growing number of cases -- the Enquirer's John Edwards takedown comes to mind -- the allegations unearthed by tabloids and blogs turn out to be true. While it's clearly troubling for a publication to fork over cash for trash, the condescending media elite are often forced to play catch-up.

In the end, I don't want the New York Times devoting its resources to quarterback sexting. The paper, and others like it, should investigate campaign finance abuses, dig into city contracting, cover the war in Afghanistan -- all the heavy lifting that need not concern the Deadspins of the world.