Saturday, October 09, 2004

The Enemy

I'm reading The Enemy: A Biography of Wyndham Lewis by Jeffrey Meyers. I feel like I've found a soulmate. Wyndham says (in words that could be my credo): "I am all in favor of a young man behaving rudely to everyone in sight. This may not be good for the young man, but it's good for everyone else."

Robert L. replies: Luke -- wasn't it I who brought Wyndham Lewis to your attention? Now that I reflect upon it, indeed, I'm quite certain it was I. Lewis, after all, made delicously scathing remarks about that preening effete little pack of blowhards known as the Bloomsbury Group (Virginia Woolf, member Exhibit A).

In any event -- speaking of spirits kidred to Lewis -- I think this is my all-time favorite John Derbyshire weblog statement. Laconic -- and so Derb:

TRASHING VIRGINIA WOOLF [John Derbyshire]
It's a dirty job, but needs doing.
Posted at 10:32 AM