Friday, June 25, 2004

"Are you going to be on television?"

I interviewed Orthodox Rabbi Michael Berenbaum (born 1945) Friday afternoon, June 25. The content designer for the now famous Washington Holocaust Museum, and director of the Shoah Oral History project established by Stephen Spielberg, he is widely known today as a Holocaust scholar (part-time at University of Judaism).

He has four kids, aged 31, 26, 5, 4.

As I sit on the couch after walking in his home, his four year old boy asks, "Who's that man?"

R. "He wants to interview me."

"Are you going to be on television?"

"I don't know."

Two minutes later, the boy asks again, "Are you going to be on television?"

Near the end of the interview, he comes in and plays with my digital tape recorder.

I did not have the moxie to ask the question I wanted to pose: Which is the best Holocaust museum to take a first date?